Sunday, July 14, 2013

Only the Good Die Young

When I woke up this morning, I did the same thing I always do: I grabbed my iPhone and scrolled through twitter and facebook before finally forcing myself to roll out of bed. This morning, however,  it was different. I had a Facebook message from my best friend, Lauren, saying that Cory Monteith had died the previous day. As a die hard Glee fan, she was completely devastated. After reading her message, I noticed my entire twitter feed was filled with "#RipCoryMonteith". So it's true, I thought to myself. Just like that, he was gone.


For those of you who don't know, Cory plays Finn on Glee and is 31 years old in real life. He was found dead in a hotel room in Vancouver yesterday morning by an employee coming to see when he would be checking out. It hasn't officially been determined what the cause of death was, but it's been made public that Cory has struggled with drug abuse for most of his life and had admitted himself into rehab earlier this year. Right now, it has basically been assumed that the cause of death was a drug overdose.

I have watched Glee on and off from the beginning, and Finn has always been one of my favorite characters. I had absolutely no idea that he struggled with drug addiction in real life. Maybe it was just because he played such a sweet and innocent character on Glee, but he seemed to have his life together. He was dating his co-star, Lea Michele, and seemed so genuinely happy.

It makes me so sad to think that his life ended at only thirty-one years old. He was at the prime of his life, with a successful acting career and a beautiful girlfriend. I have never done drugs in my life, nor do I ever plan on it. I've never even had alcohol. But let's be honest... I'm eighteen years old. I know tons of people from my high school who drink and get high literally every day. I know that this could happen to anyone. I don't understand it, and I don't know that I ever will. Why do people do this to themselves? Why do people rely on substance abuse to feel better?

My prayers go out to Cory's family, friends, and girlfriend, Lea Michele. I can't even imagine what they're going through right now. You never imagine someone important to you dying at a young age. It's important that we don't take loved ones for granted, because you never know what the future holds.

3 comments :

  1. yeah I have watched glee on and off too and SAS shocked to hear that he passed away. So sad and so young. And I feel really bad for Lea Michele as they were actually dating in real life

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was supposed to say so shocked not SAS shocked. Stupid phone. Sorry about that"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubs called me from work & woke me up to tell me! He was my fav guy. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love reading what every one of my followers has to say. - Shelby